By taking advantage of Newcastle’s convenient northerly location, you can experience the wonderment of discovering Norway’s spellbinding fjords in a shorter time. In less than a week, you will enjoy scenic cruising of awe-inspiring waterways and visit two vibrant destinations, for a perfect taste of fjordland exploration with Fred. Olsen.
An overnight sail from your northern departure port to Norway ensures you will quickly and comfortably reach some of the most celebrated scenery of Fred. Olsen’s incredible homeland. Diverting into Lysefjord, passing underneath an impressive bridge that restricts larger ships from accessing this stunning waterway, dramatic cliffs, mighty mountains, and unique rock formations will provide a memorable first glimpse of the fjordland’s remarkable scenery. Stepping ashore in Bergen next, you will have a full day to take in this Hanseatic city’s many highlights. The world-famous UNESCO-listed Bryggen Wharf, the bustling fish market, and the Troldhaugen Museum – the former home of world-renowned composer Edvard Grieg – to name just a few. For unspoilt views of Bergen’s gorgeous surrounding landscapes be sure to ride the funicular railway to the top of majestic Mount Fløyen.
Your ship will sail deep into Hardangerfjord – Norway’s second longest fjord – next, all the way to Eidfjord. Some of the fjordland’s most astonishing landscapes encompass this charming village; taking a kayaking tour on the still waters of the Hardangerfjord is a unique way to marvel at the soaring peaks here. On tours from Eidfjord, the Vøringsfossen – one of Norway’s most famous waterfalls – and the Hardangervidda Nature Centre, which offers a fascinating insight into Norway’s natural environment, are within reach too. A return journey along the Hardangerfjord follows in the evening, offering you another opportunity to capture the outstanding natural beauty of the ‘Queen of the Fjords’, before Balmoral diverts into Maurangerfjord to present you with a close-up look at the cascading Furebergfossen Waterfall – another of Norway’s incredible natural wonders not often seen by guests on larger cruise ships.
*Price based on a Twin Occupancy of a Grade I, interior twin room. Other cabins are available with a supplement. Return Roberts transfer to and from Newcastle Port included in the price.
- Return Roberts transfer to and from Newcastle cruise port
- Comfortable, stylish cabins and suites equipped with a Smart TV, hairdryer, tea and coffee making facilities, a fridge and individually controlled air conditioning
- A tempting choice of cuisine every day throughout your cruise – with five-course à la carte dinners, casual breakfast and lunch buffets, late-night snacks and much more
- Unlimited, self-service tea and coffee available 24hrs at selected venues, complementary afternoon tea* with sandwiches and cakes, and in-room sandwiches and snacks
- A full programme of evening entertainment, including cabaret shows, comedy, dancing and live music
- Full use of on-board leisure facilities, including swimming pools, Jacuzzis and gym
- A wide choice of engaging onboard activities and lectures throughout the day
- All UK port taxes (where collectable in advance)
- Luggage porterage between your cabin and the drop-off/pick-up point
- Formal welcome and/or Captain’s Drinks Party and Gala Buffet
Itinerary of Ports of Call
Date Arrive Depart Destination
Sat 01 May Late PM Newcastle, United Kingdom
Sun 02 May Late PM Late Night Cruising Lysefjord, Norway
Mon 03 May Early AM Late Night Bergen, Norway
Tue 04 May Early AM Late PM Eidfjord, Norway
Tue 04 May Late PM Late Night Cruise Hardangerfjord, Norway
Tue 04 May Late Night Late Night Furebergfoss Waterfall, Norway
Thu 06 May Early AM Newcastle, United Kingdom
- (00:00) Hugglescote Roberts depot The Limes
- Midland Road
- (00:00) Leicester St Margaret's Bus Station
- Stand SA
- New Road
- (00:00) Pick Up Home Address
Balmoral is named after the Scottish residence of the British Royal Family, and the Scottish theme runs throughout the main dining venues – the Ballindalloch, Avon and Spey – where guests can enjoy tantalising menus prepared by our expert chefs.
Featuring 710 well-appointed rooms and suites and a selection of comfortable lounges, bars and inviting public areas, Balmoral provides guests with ample space in which to relax and share a memorable cruise experience with hundreds, not thousands, of fellow travellers. And, as our guests have come to expect, there is always an array of superb entertainment on offer throughout the day, from lectures and hobby classes to live cabaret and comedians, ensuring you can make the most of your time onboard.
Balmoral is small enough to navigate size-restricted waterways such as the Kiel Canal, providing fantastic scenic cruising opportunities, and retains the warm, intimate and friendly atmosphere that the Fred. Olsen fleet is renowned for.