Recently, Dorset was voted the UK’s favourite county and it’s easy to see why on this scenic tour, featuring its glorious gardens and landscapes.
- Accompanied by Harry Macpherson
- Entrance to Lulworth Castle
- Free time in Dorchester
- Visit to Forde Abbey & Gardens with private guided tour of the house
- Free time in Lyme Regis
- Visit to Sherborne Castle with private viewing with guide
- Free time in Sherbourne
- Non-alcoholic drink with dinner on the first night
George Albert Hotel**
Wardon Hill, Near Dorchester
The hotel is a private, family owned hotel located in the rolling Dorset countryside and ideally positioned to explore the surrounding area. All bedrooms are en suite with tea/coffee making facilities, television and telephone.
Sunday: We depart the Travel Centre this morning and make our way south, stopping en route.
Monday: Today we visit Lulworth Castle. This magnificent building is steeped in history. Originally built as a hunting lodge to entertain aristocracy and royalty, it was for centuries the family seat of the Weld family, the current owners of the Lulworth Estate. Ravaged by fire in 1929, it has been partly restored in a pioneering partnership with English Heritage. Visit the Roman Catholic Chapel and the Church of St Andrew.
Tuesday: This morning we visit Forde Abbey & Gardens, which through the centuries, it has played host to Cistercian monks at prayer, 19th-century philosophers and politicians, by misfortune implicated in the Monmouth Rebellion and more recently, the backdrop to the Hollywood adaptation of Thomas Hardy’s ‘Far from the Madding Crowd’.
Wednesday: Today we visit Sherborne Castle where we have a private viewing with a guide. Built by Sir Walter Raleigh in 1594, experience nationally important collections of furniture, paintings and porcelain and walk in Capability Brown’s English Landscape Garden.
Thursday: We bid the hotel a fond farewell this morning and head back to Leicestershire with a stop en route.
- (09:30) Hugglescote Roberts depot The Limes
- Midland Road
Our Gold Holidays Include:
- Porterage at the hotel
- Door to Door home pick-up within our designated area
- Free secure parking at our Travel Centre in Hugglescote
- Use of our rest facilities and tea & coffee drinks service available at our staffed Travel Centre on the outward journey
- Executive coach travel throughout and free reserved seating for our customers
- All excursions and entrances as described in the itinerary
- Welcome reception at Hugglescote on the day of departure
- Return welcome from Roberts Holidays' staff