Northumberland is a wonderful magical place filled with ancient castles; unspoilt beaches; rolling hills; sweeping views; friendly little market towns and a cultural heritage all of its own and this tour covers a variety of what the area has to offer.
The Holy Island of Lindisfarne, also known simply as Holy Island, is a tidal island off the northeast coast of England. With a recorded history from the 6th century AD; it was an important centre of Celtic Christianity under Saints Aidan of Lindisfarne, Cuthbert, Eadfrith of Lindisfarne and Eadberht of Lindisfarne. After the Viking invasions and the Norman conquest of England, a priory was re-established with a small castle being built on the island in 1550.
Bamburgh Castle has stood guard over this beautiful coastline for over 1,400 years. Spanning nine acres of land on its rocky plateau and is one of the largest inhabited castles in the country.
We will also take a boat trip to Inner Farne, the largest of the Farne Islands. In the Summer months it becomes home to many thousands of nesting seabirds. These birds include Puffins, Guillemots, Razorbills, Sandwich Terns, Common Terns, Roseate Terns, Arctic Terns, Shags, Cormorants and Eider Ducks.
- Excursion to Holy Island with visit to the Castle
- Visit to Bamburgh Castle
- Time in Morpeth for the weekly market
- Inner Farne Boat Trip
- Visit to SeahousesFree use of the hotel’s leisure facilities
*The crossing of the causeway to Holy Island is governed by tide times. It may be necessary to amend this excursion.
Macdonald Linden Hall Hotel****
Longhorsely, Nr Morpeth
The impressive hotel was built by merchant and banker Charles William Bigge in 1812. Today, it nestles in 450 acres of private grounds: the perfect country house hotel. All rooms are en suite with tea/coffee making facilities, television, hairdryer and iron/ironboard. The hotel has leisure facilities.
Monday: We depart the Travel Centre this morning and make our way north with a stop en route, aiming to arrive at the hotel late afternoon.
Tuesday: Today we cross the causeway to the Holy Island of Lindisfarne where we visit the castle with its stunning views with time to explore the quaint shops.
After, we visit Bamburgh Castle, once the royal seat of the Kings of Northumbria.
Wednesday: This morning we travel to Morpeth where there is chance to visit the weekly market or time to explore this historic market town.
Thursday: This morning we take an Inner Farne Boat trip, lasting approximately 2½ hours including one hour spent on Inner Farne. The tour includes a cruise around all the Farne Islands, viewing the sea birds on the cliff faces, visiting the Grey Seal colonies and follows the route Grace Darling and her father took during their heroic rescue in 1838. A full commentary is given en route.
After, we return to the mainland to visit the colourful village of Seahouses. Visit the bustling harbour or the Aladdin’s Cave of shops.
Friday: We bid a fond farewell to the hotel staff as we head back to Hugglescote today, arriving back at the Travel Centre late afternoon.
- (08:00) Hugglescote Roberts depot The Limes
- Midland Road
Roberts Platinum Service
- Welcome Platinum pack, to include: Tissues, sweet biscuits, sweets, and savoury biscuits
- Welcome Platinum reception to our Hugglescote Travel centre upon arrival with a complimentary glass of Bucks Fizz
- Services of a Roberts Travel Group Representative or Tour Manager
- Selection of complimentary magazines on the coach
- Free soft drinks and water available on the coach where reasonable time allows*
- Free hot drinks and alcohol served when time allows, as described in the itinerary*
- Surprise extra on the itinerary
- Roberts souvenir to keep
- Free secure parking at our Travel Centre in Hugglescote
- Use of our rest facilities and tea & coffee drinks service available at our staffed Travel Centre on the outward journey
- Executive coach travel throughout and free reserved seating for our customers
- All excursions and entrances as described in the itinerary
- Welcome reception at Hugglescote on the day of departure
- Return welcome from Roberts Holidays' staff
- Porterage at the hotel
- Door to Door home pick-up within our designated area