Railways of the Rhine Valley
Explore the legendary scenery of fairy-tale castles and picture postcard wine villages as we travel by boat and train along the highlights of this wonderful river valley.
With journeys by train into the enchanting forest of the Eifel Mountains, the famous Rhineside village of Rüdesheim, the picturesque Ahr Valley with its half-timbered houses and a cruise on the mighty Rhine, what a wonderful way to discover the magic of this enchanting area of Germany.
Day 1: We journey from Hugglescote early this morning and head to Remagen and check in at our hotel, our base for the next six nights.
Day 2: Today we catch the morning train to St Goar. Here we take a 2 hour cruise to Boppard with some free time. This afternoon we return by train from St Goar to Remagen
Day 3: Today is your free day in resort
Day 4: We travel by train along the Ahr valley, an area of broad plateaux and narrow gorges where picturesque half-timbered towns nestle in the landscape and castles crown hill summits. This is the most northerly of Germany’s wine-producing regions that is mostly dedicated to the production of red wines. Seldom is this wine exported so our special excursion to Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler will give us the opportunity to sample some and purchase a souvenir bottle or two, as well as enjoy a horse-drawn carriage ride.
Day 5: We enjoy a nostalgic ride on the Vulkan Express, a privately owned narrow gauge train. The journey, through one of the most scenic valleys of the Rhine, takes 1½ hours, passing castles, crossing viaducts and going through a tunnel as we ascend the Eifel Mountains to the village of Engeln.
Day 6: Today we Rüdesheim by train, passing the legendary Lorelai rock en route. The Drosselgasse is the hub, lined with taverns serving the Rheingau region’s finest Riesling wines. The Niederwald monument, which depicts the mythical figure of Germania, can be reached by cable car, where spectacular views of the Rhine valley and castles can be enjoyed. The ruins of Ehrenfels Castle is another idyllic location, surrounded by vineyards above the Rhine Gorge.
Day 7: We depart our hotel early this morning and retrace our route for our ferry back to Dover.
- Return executive coach travel
- Return ferry crossings
- 6 nights’ half board accommodation in Remagen, Germany
- 5 days Packed Lunches
- Free bar in the hotel from 18:30 – 22:00 each night
- Services of a Courier
- Visits the Ahr valley and Rüdesheim
- Boat trip along the Rhine
- Journey on the Dragon Rock Railway
- Horse-drawn carriage ride in the Ahr valley
- Journey on the Vulkan Express
Hotel Pinger 3*
This 3 star establishment is owned by the Pinger family, who have been running hotels in the area since 1938. It is conveniently located close to the railway station and the town centre, and offers comfortable rooms all of which have en suites, TVs and telephones. Public areas include a restaurant, coffee shop, bar with seating area outside for relaxing, sauna and plunge pool. The hotel also has a lift.
- Free secure parking at our Travel Centre in Hugglescote
- Use of our staffed, travel centre in Hugglescote on the outward journey
- Executive coach travel with experienced tour driver
- Hotel accommodation, dinner & cooked breakfast throughout
- All excursions and entrances as described in the itinerary
- Door to Door home pick within our designated area
- Welcome reception at Hugglescote on the day of departure
- Return welcome from Roberts Holidays’ staff
- Porterage at the hotel
- Welcome platinum reception at Hugglescote Travel centre
- Cakes and pastries on departure
- Welcome Platinum pack
- Services of a courier
- Selection of complimentary magazines on the coach
- Biscuits, sweets and nibbles on board the coach
- Hot drinks whilst onboard
- Happy hour on the coach, soft drinks, savoury nibbles and alcoholic drinks included